After looking at a lot of pictures of women's "Steampunk" fashion on Pinterest, I decided that an achievable goal would be a chemise.. more Ren Faire than pure Victorian, but I had recently become enamoured of both Regency "Marie" sleeves and some sleeves in Alexander McQueen's pre-fall 2013 collection. (and hey... if I am going to radically mix periods like that, why do it half heartedly? :)
from Alexander McQueen's pre fall 2013 collection
I wore Italian Renaissance when I was in the SCA and I had made many, many renaissance chemises. This project would be a snap, even messing about with the sleeves! (I should have known then that those would be famous last words)
I bought a cotton/linen blend from denverfabrics.com and was pretty happy with how it washed up (altho it was nowhere near the "handkerchief" weight it was listed as) and figured that I could knock this out in an evening or two. Unfortunately, this was a project that just didn't want to play nice. But I finally got it to a point that I could live with the look of the finished garment (as long as I didn't think about the fixes I'd had to implement to correct issues during construction). At some point I know I'm going to end up re-doing the whole thing, but it's something to wear to Sunday in the Park.