Sunday, September 29, 2013

My latest obsession: Chokha!

One of the things I love about following costuming blogs & pintrest sites is that I find out about so much that I didn't know about.  I was taking a facebook break from sewing on Saturday and someone posted an album of pictures of the Georgian national garment, the choka....  and it was obsession at first sight for me!

(there are much more interesting pictures of chokha out there but darned if I can managed to link to any of them)

I knew Jay needed one (even if he wasn't so sure) and I set about scouring the web for a pattern.  Normally, my google fu is pretty formidable but a couple of hours and the best I could come up with was a comment on the Reconstructing History facebook page asking if there were any plans for a pattern and a pic of a cutting diagram from a book (no measurements of course) from gdfalksen.com. With the limited time I have to sew  (and the amount of other projects I have planned) drafting something workable from the cutting diagram was not something I was looking forward to.  And let's not even talk about the applique on the front.  That was going to take a lot of experimentation.

Finally, I decided the chokha would have to be a long term project and decided to call it a night.  Still, visions of chokha danced in my head as I went upstairs and I decided to check out the out of print Folkwear 503 pattern for a Cossack coat that I'd bought kind of on a whim from Amazon Dry Goods a couple of weeks ago.  I vaguely remembered the coat being the same shape as the chokha..  maybe it would be a jumping off point and save me having to draft from the diagram.....

Rummaging through the men's pattern bin in the sewing room, I find the Cossack coat pattern...  and damned it I don't realize that it's not just a good starting point to work from...  it is a chokha, down to the applique on the front  (for which directions are included in the pattern).

The serendipity for this (considering that I haven't had any interest in Russian/Eastern European for years and the pattern is out of print)  is mindboggling.  I clearly should have played the lottery on Saturday.

There may be a chokha in Jay's future after all...whether he wants one or not! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am currently trying to look for this pattern and it is out of print and sold out everywhere. Is there a way I could get your help replicating this patterns or if you are willing to sell your pattern?

    ReplyDelete