Saturday, September 14, 2013


Since AnachroCon is over Valentine's Day weekend, they announced that they were going to have a 1940s swing dance and dinner event.  Swing dancing...  yay!    1940s costume, not so much.  I've never really cared for the 1940s look.  But ok... the next goal after Sunday in the Park is a 1940s dress.

Jay wanted to be iconic and dress as a sailor and have me dress as a 1940s nurse, but AnachroCon was using that picture in their promotions for the event, and I didn't want to be one of a dozen couples that had that "brilliantly original" idea.  (and I wasn't terribly keen on a nurse's uniform anyway)

Reconstructing History had some 1930s patterns (RH1314 and RH1319) (hey..  if I'm going to make something I have to at least like it, right?)  and a longer 1940s dress (RH1409) that had some promise but when I think of the 1940s, I think of prints, However, my google fu was weak and I was just having no luck finding anything that looked like a 1940s print in anything but quilting cotton.

Oh well, I decided to back burner the project at least until after Sunday in the Park.  Then I was in Gail K (the one decent fabric store I've found in Atlanta) and the woman cutting my fabric mentioned that they had a brand new store in Norcross (the suburb I happen to live in!)

So, of course, I had to check it out.  And lo and behold, what did I find in the middle of a rack of sari silk was this:

It had a retro 40s vibe, colours that weren't awful, a great hand (and a nice substantial feel..this wasn't flimsy blouse weight stuff) to it and better still, it was silk and not rayon.  Best of all, since there was a rip in one end and some fading, I got it for $8 a yard.  Sold.  I took the whole piece because it wasn't something I was likely to ever find again.

No comments:

Post a Comment