So I had projects planned for the next few months. I was going to knock out a shirt to replace the shredded linen one that Jay wore for Sunday in the Park. Then I was going to make the 1940s evening dress I need for the Anachrocon dance. Then there was an 1890s skirt and shirtwaist for Anachrocon, a mid 19th century waistcoat for Jay. And HSF challenges interspersed between projects. This was a managable, if slightly aggressive schedule for someone who has maybe 6 hours a week to sew.
Then on my nightly Pinterest review, I came across this Downton Abbey photo. And Lady Mary's walking suit beguiled me with it's siren song: "Here. Here is your next project. Forsake all others. I am what you really want to make." And I was sucked in like a sailor on the rocks.
Reasons why I absolutely need to make this suit (or at least an approximation of it)
1) It would be, dare I say, flattering on plus sized me
2) It looks simple enough to be a manageable project and yet elegant enough to be gorgeous
3) It's trimmed with black velvet!
4) from my VtM LARP days, I already have the black velvet gloves and a hat that will require minimal reworking
5) I might be able to get away without a corset under it
I totally need to disappear from the world for a week or so and do nothing but sew!!!