Saturday, October 5, 2013

Target for costuming... who knew!

Spent another frustrating session on the shoulder cape last night.  I am beginning to think the whole project is cursed.  It's one step forward, two steps back all the way.  But The HSF challenge ends Monday, so I'm in the home stretch one way or the other.

The other frustrating thing is that we're supposed to have a tropical storm hit Atlanta tomorrow so there is a decent chance that it will be raining all day, so we may not even get to go to Sunday in the Park.

On a cheerier note, we were out at Target this afternoon doing responsible adult errands and we stumbled into the Halloween department.  Admittedly, there was a ton of schlock, but the real shock was that there was some stuff actually worth buying and their prices were crazy low.  Admittedly, none of it passes a historical accuracy test, but for steampunk it's just dandy.

The black velour top hats were $12, surprisingly substantial AND ran large enough to fit both Jay and I (both of us usually wear a 7 1/2 men's hat size so finding ready made hats that fit is always difficult).  I actually bought 2..  one to decorate a la riding habit and one to stay unadorned.


A black velour pimp hat.  Who could resist a black velour pimp hat?  Certainly not me!


The picture doesn't do the mask justice.  It's black metal filigree and has a rhinestones as well as the red metallic paint.  It was $15, which stunned me.  If I saw this on etsy (or at a con/ren faire) for $50, I wouldn't have blinked (I probably wouldn't have bought it, but I wouldn't have thought it was over priced).


Jay had vague thoughts of being some superhero called the Atom but the whole super hero bodysuit thing seemed pretty daunting.  (I hate working with knits) We found these "skin suits" at Target for $30.  It had an attached hood that zips over the face that will require some reworking, but it's a good starting point.

All in all it was a very pleasant surprise!  The problem is that I now own enough hats that I am really going to have to come up with a good way to store all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment