It was actually a nice restful project (much needed after all the drama of the waistcoat) and I spent my evenings this week making tucks, and ruffles... and ruffles and a few more ruffles....
I'd been planning to make it out of a pretty black and white pinstripe that I'd gotten from Denver Fabrics in January, but when I was out picking up fabric for my 1880s hat class, I ran across this delicious pink and white striped seersucker. Normally, I am an anti-pink sort of girl, but this was too fun not to buy.
Since this already screamed "Girly" I decided to keep the girly-girl feel with lots of trim. I'd been meaning to experiment with ribbon flowers since last fall, just hadn't found a project where they were suitable until now.
They were easier than I expected: each flower I did was 12" of ribbon with a machine gathering stitch down one side. I rolled one end a bit to start the center and then gathered the ribbon and started wrapping it in a circle around the center and tacking the gathered end down with thread. I like this technique because it produces a very three dimensional flower, but I can see that the uses for this style would be somewhat limited. Still it's awfully pretty.
I am pretty sure that these sort of flowers probably aren't historically accurate, but it was a good excuse to make a few.
It was a nice interlude project before I delve into my hat and my fairy tale project for HSF #6.